Call for applications:
Research Interns at CSS
Stories of Climate Action I Architect Intern Search
Two Positions Open
We invite applications from young creative, self-motivated Architect Interns to join Stories of Climate Action: Democratising Planning in Mumbai’s Wetscapes for two 2 positions.
Amidst dire climate warnings and calls for climate adaptation, in this project we dwell in the everyday stories of Mumbai’s residents as they inhabit and adapt to life in a wet climate changed city. The stories we gather in this city shall describe the subordinated modalities of praxis; of how the city’s residents read the city’s wet terrain and act amidst climate and ecological uncertainty. We propose to gather and put these stories in conversation with an ongoing official climate planning process in Mumbai through several workshops. Together with official, more formalised initiatives, Stories of Climate Action promises to produce new paradigms of how the most catastrophic effects of climate change might be mitigated and adapted to Indian cities in the near future.
Stories of Climate Action is a project conducted by the Centre for Spatial Studies under the coordination of Rohit Mujumdar (Centre for Spatial Studies), Lalitha Kamath (Tata Institute of Social Sciences and Nikhil Anand (University of Pennsylvania).
- The primary responsibility of the architect intern will involve field research and mapping the wetscapes of 2-3 sites in the Thane Creek (M-East Ward) and Dahisar river (R Ward).
- As part of this responsibility, they will also contribute to the production of materials for a digital exhibition based on the research findings.
- Minimum qualifications: Completion of third year of the Bachelors of Architecture course.
- Knowledge of Hindi and working knowledge of Marathi.
- Candidates with demonstrated mapping skills and interest in social / ecological research and storytelling related to the city would be given preference.
- Candidates should demonstrate skills of hand sketching and working with Autocad, Rhino, Photoshop, Sketchup and InDesign Softwares. Basic knowledge of working with website platforms will be considered as an added qualification.
5 months (01 December 2022 - 30 April 2023).
Rs. 10,000/month. All fieldwork expenses shall be remunerated separately.
Tata Institute of Social Sciences (1 position) and School of Environment and Architecture (1 position).
How to apply:
Please send us your CV, a soft copy of your portfolio samples of your work and 1 reference to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by November 18, 2022. The candidate's portfolio should be able to demonstrate the rigour for drawing and visual communication based on the above requirements. Please use the following in the subject line: Application for Architect Intern. Short listed candidates will be informed by email about the date and time of the interviews to be held during the week following the last date of application.
To know more about earlier work, please visit: https://www.inhabitedsea.org/the-sea-and-the-city and https://www.inhabitedsea.org/architectures-of-exfoliation
Any inquiries regarding the internship positions should be emailed to the addresses mentioned above.